Friday, January 13, 2012

A for Altar by Jeanette

Altar: is any structure upon which offerings such as sacrifices are made for religious purposes. Altars are usually found at shrines, and they can be located in temples, churches and other places of worship. Today they are used particularly in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Taoism, as well as LaVeyan Satanism, Thelema, Neopaganism, and in Ceremonial magic. Judaism did so until the destruction of the Second Temple. Many historical faiths also made use of them, including Greek and Norse religion; Information taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar.



I’m a “born again” Pagan. I wasn’t raised this way but it is the path that I’ve been led down and I love it. I’m currently working on gathering alter tools and learning bits on the different celebrations and enjoying my new path. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Andreann. And a beautiful altar. I am getting mine ready for Imbolc and will share once it's up. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an addition for tools, don' feel pressed to buy tools immediately or to spend a ton of money. The tools are really just a focus for your energy, you can make beautiful magic without buying a single tool. I have gained mine over time by crafting pieces, having them gifted to me. Alter set up I think is also a very personal thing. Make your altar a good working space for you.

    ReplyDelete